Num Banh Chok Samlor Namya Khmer
Num banh chok or Khmer noodle is a Khmer traditional food which made of rice paddy flour. Num banh chok is served with some kinds of soup such as Khmer Curry Soup, Samlor Praher Khmer or Teuk Samlor Khmer (the most traditional Khmer soup for serving with num banh chok), Teuk Samlor Namya, and it’s can be served with the typical sour soup as well.
For the Khmer Curry Soup and Samlor Praher Khmer, we already posted. Today we would like to introduce about Teuk Samlor Namya.
Teuk Samlor Namya has another name calls Samlor Krohom (means Red Soup). It’s called so, because it almost the same to the Samlor Praher Khmer, but the color is red. In fact, Namya is a Thai word means ‘soup’. However, in Cambodia, Namya has been cooked in Khmer style. So let’s say this is the Khmer Teuk Samlor Namya.
Teuk Samlor Namya or Samlor Krohom is a merge between the two kinds of Khmer Curry and Samlor Praher KHmer in which it used the same Khmer Kroeung as curry and use the fish flesh the same as Samlor Praher Khmer. So it’s easy if you would like to cook Samlor Namya at home.
For the Khmer Kroeung:
- 2 inches galangal root, trimmed and sliced
- 4 inches tumeric, sliced
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced
- 3 shallots, peeled and sliced
- 4 lemongrass stalks, trimmed and finely sliced
- 10 Kaffir lime leaves, finely shredded
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Finely pound all the ingredients for the Kroeung in a mortar.
Other ingredients for Teuk Samlor Namya
- 1kg of fish: washed and cook in boiling water in a cooking pan, add a little salt. Then remove the bone, need only flesh. Then pound it together with the Kroeung until they are mixed well together.
- 250 ml of thick coconut milk
- 1 litter of think coconut milk
- 200 g red dried chilly: soak in water for about 15 minutes, then finely chop.
- 50 g shrimp paste (Kapis)
- 4 tbsp sugar
- 3 tbsp fish sauce
- Put a frying pan onto the fire, pour in the thick coconut milk. When it’s boiled, add the red chilly and the shrimp paste. Stir it to make a red mixture, add the pounded Kroeung and fish flesh, add sugar and fish sauce, stir it well until it’s fragrant, take it off from fire.
- Boil 1 litter of think coconut milk in a cooking pan, when it’s boiled, transfer the mixture from the frying pan into it, then bring it into boiling and adjust it flavor.
Similar to Khmer Curry Soup and Samlor Praher Khmer, Num Banh Chok Samlor Namya also need to serve with many kinds of fresh vegetables such as cucumber, banana flower, long bean, water lily stem, bean sprout, coriander, etc.